Make more of what I use, that is the mantra that is pushing me to become self motivated and get stuff done.
It’s not that I am lazy or that my family eats purely junk food or prepackaged food but I will admit that we eat whatever is easiest because the majority of the time I am just plain exhausted. Especially over these last two years (2010-2012) which have been filled with work-ups (that time spent between deployments where my husband is at far off war exercises and stints in the elusive “field”), back to back pregnancies (youngest was 9 months old when we found out we were expecting again) and 7 months full of worry, loneliness and postpartum depression while my husband served in Afghanistan. During that time my family often ate in front of the tv (we still do on occasion but it is not nearly as often), we often had fast food, dinner out (which is so expensive!) or quick, ten minutes of prep or less, meals and most of it was packaged and processed. The worst thing about all of this is that I love to cook and bake but my disorganization and lack of motivation prevented any attempt I may have had.
With that being said and 2012 just beginning I am working towards making more of what my family consumes. Starting with breakfast! Well we ate this Blueberry Pound Cake as a part of our breakfast but it is just as good for a snack or a soft dessert. I have to say that I love pound cake, I especially like lemon pound cake with lemon glaze but baby Eleanor has me craving blueberries a lot lately so I made this one instead. It’s a comfort food for me, the kind of food that makes me feel like I am sitting on a couch in front of a window on a rainy day curled up under a blanket with a really good book, even if I’m really dealing with a house filled with sick people! So go ahead and try it out when you just want something yummy to eat!
Blueberry Pound Cake with Lemon Cream
Blueberry Pound Cake-adapted from www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Blueberry-Pound-Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 Bag frozen Blueberries (about 3 cups)
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a separate bowl combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in blueberries (do not thaw to prevent discoloration of batter).
- Spoon into two greased and waxed paper-lined (it makes removal easier) 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Yield: 2 loaf cakes.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer and whip until soft peaks form(or it looks like whipped cream). Serve on top of a slice of bread.
Enjoy! We found it to be better than any pound cake I have ever picked up at a grocery store and it was not hard to make at all!